A delicious vegetarian dish stuffing globe artichokes with breadcrumbs, herbs and cheese and then serving with a rich tomato sauce.
For 4 people you will need:
- 4 artichokes
- 400g sourdough breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- A good handful of freshly grated Parmesan
- Finely chopped mint, parsley and 2 cloves of garlic
- 50ml good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 bottle Caruso passata
- 10 small plum tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- Fresh basil
- Prepare the artichoke by removing the stem and any tough outer leaves. Slice the tip off so that the artichoke is shorter with good space now to fill. Slowly work this space so that the hole is as big as it can be ready for the filling. Gently wash the artichoke under the tap and set aside, upside down, to dry.
- To make the filling, mix the bread crumbs with the eggs, Parmesan, herbs, garlic, oil, salt and pepper and then fill each artichoke. Be gentle, but the mixture needs to be really packed in.
- Make the sauce and cook the artichokes by frying the onion and garlic in the olive oil on a med-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Place the artichokes filling side down into the oil and fry on the same med-low heat for another 10 minutes. This will seal the filling.
- Now move the artichokes onto their sides, pour in some boiling water so that it reaches half way up the artichokes, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, turning the artichokes occaisionally.
- When most of the water has evaporated, add the tomatoes, passata and basil and cook for another half an hour, stiring occasionally.
- Serve the sauce with some pasta as a primo, then the artichokes with the remaining sauce as secondo.