Lampi e truoni
Lampi e truoni (Thunder & lightning)
Cibo povero (food of poverty) is a term used to describe simple, rustic every day dishes. healthy, hearty, tasty and Cheap!
For 4 people you will need:
- 200g fresh egg pasta (dried will do, traditionally different shaped short pastas)
- 250g dried chickpeas
- 250ml passata or from a can of good quality tomatoes
- Teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- Tablespoon fresh rosemary
- Tablespoon dried oregano
- Clove of garlic
- Chilli flakes
- Salt & pepper
- Soak the chickpeas overnight with a tablespoon of salt. The next day drain and rinse.
- Fill a pan with plenty of water, add the bicarbonate of soda and the chickpeas, and simmer until tender.
- In another saucepan, gently fry the garlic clove in the oil, add the passata and oregano and cook for 20 minutes.
- Spoon the chickpeas and a little of the cooking liquid into the sauce, add the rosemary, a pinch of chilli and season with salt & pepper, discard the garlic clove.
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions.
- Mix together, sprinkle over some chilli and serve.